Source: Tim Atkin MW South Africa 2020 Special Report (Tim Atkin- Classified 1st Growth Winery)
Source: Robert Parker Wine Advocate (RP 91 pts)
A beautiful, round and layered nose, created by oxidative winemaking techniques, the 2018 Barrel Fermented Sauvignon Blanc begins with elements of grilled lemon, pineapple skin, citrus blossom and hints of vanilla and graham cracker on the nose. Medium-bodied, there is an elegant and creamy texture to the wine. The mid-palate reveals energetic acidity and round expressions from being barrel fermented in oak and the soft mineral tension from concrete eggs. The wine lingers delightfully long, with a winding finish that will please the Napa Sauvignon Blanc drinker. Bravo!
Barrel fermentation and extended lees contact contribute to this full bodied, elegant and well balanced wine.
Floral notes of passion flower and fynbos, granadilla, guava, gooseberry and green fig on the palate along with an underlying minerality which gives this unique terroir driven wine its signature.
Wine Made in the Soil
30% of this wine?s grapes comes from Lismore?s Greyton vineyards which are planted on East/Southeast facing slopes at 320 metres in the foothills of the Sonderend Mountain Range. The soils are deep decomposed shale. The other 70% comes donated fruit across the Western Cape, from vineyards which includes grapes from Helderberg, facing the cool False bay Atlantic ocean, as well as cool climate vineyards in Elgin. Sauvignon Blanc is a variety that expresses a very distinct and specific sense of place or “terroir”. The distinct minerality of this Sauvignon Blanc is a clear indication of the cool climate in which it is grown.
I love barrel fermented Sauvignon Blanc. The wine is approached and made in an ?oxidative” style. Older 600 litre barrels were used for the fermentation and maturation bringing forward richness, intense fruit and complexity. 15% of the production was fermented in 600 litre egg shape tanks. In both the barrels and the eggs, extended less contact contribute further to the rounder mouth feel and creaminess of this elegantly textured wine. As with all Lismore wines, balance is the key. The bracing acidity that is customary in new world Sauvignons has been brought into balance with a carefully chosen pick date and the barrel and egg fermentation and maturation. A full bodied, balanced wine was the goal.
This wine is an extraordinary accompaniment to fine cuisine with some of the world?s top chefs choosing.